GAME 5 RECAP: I'll take it. Hounds return home with two draws


Charleston Recap (Podcast)

Well, I’ll take it. The Hounds come back from their two game road trip with two points after another 1-1 draw, this time in Charleston as a second half goal again saw the hosts draw level. I can understand the frustration, for again the Hounds led a lead slip on the road, but the way the season started, I think we should be alright with these two results. We went in to the road trip at 0-2-1 and most could of easily seen us come back at 0-4-1, another truly disastrous start to the season. With the two draws the Hounds now come back with a little momentum and a foundation to hopefully get this season going.

Saturday nights game in Charleston began like Wednesday’s draw in Louisville with the hosts enjoying more of the possession and creating the chances. The Hounds seemed content with absorbing the pressure and springing on the counter. This strategy worked in the most part Wednesday in Louisville and looked to again in Charleston.

Things looked even better when Romeo Parkes put the Hounds ahead 1-0 in the 30th minute from some nice route 1 football from our boys. A Hunter Gilstrap goal kick did not hit the ground until it hit the feet of Parkes, who cooly cut in from the left side in a crowd of Battery defenders. Romeo slotted it past Battery keeper Odisnel Cooper to make it 1-0 to the good guys.

The Hounds continued to absorb pressure well in the second half, but I don’t remember too many good scoring chances for Charleston. The hosts though won a penalty after Ben Hollingsworth was called for dragging down a Charleston player on a corner kick. I tried to slow the play down on YouTube but they cant really get a good look at it, so I don’t want to say if it was a good or bad call. The Hounds defenders did seem pretty upset about it, but that’s normal really when a penalty is called against you.

Justin Portillo converted the penalty to even it up for the Battery, but that would be all the scoring on the night as it ended 1-1. There were chances though for both teams before the final whistle, with the Hounds looking dangerous again on the counter at times. A key to the our second half scoring chances was the return of Kevin Kerr after missing a game under suspension and also missing the home contest against OCB with some VISA issues. It was very good to see our #10 back on the field and creating some nice one touch passing plays and hopefully his return will bring a spark to the tam moving forward.

Hopefully the team came together a bit and we can look to some positive results moving forward starting this Saturday against NYRBII. At the top of the post there is a link to my latest pod where I ramble about the road trip and what not. I will get the player audio sorted out before the next one. As always, enjoy it!

The Riverhounds next match is this Saturday May 7th at home vs New York Red Bulls II. Kick off is at 7:00 pm. Tailgate starts at 4:00 pm.